Getting Help

Below you will find links to websites and resources that may be helpful to litigants in a family proceeding and lawyers who practice family law. Before you use this information, you should consult the “Disclaimer/Copyright/Privacy Statement” link at the bottom of this page.


  • The Advocate for Children and Youth’s Office opens new window (The Advocate for Children and Youth is an Independent Statutory office of the House of Assembly of Newfoundland and Labrador. This office has the authority to represent the rights, interests and viewpoints of children and youth who are entitled to receive services and access programs provided by the government of this province.)
  • Family Justice Services (The Family Justice Services (FJS) Division of the Department of Justice and Public Safety assists families in resolving separation and divorce issues.)
  • Newfoundland and Labrador Legal Aid Commission opens new window (Legal Aid provides a range of legal services to low income individuals in Newfoundland and Labrador in the areas of family and criminal law.)
  • Public Legal Information Association of NL opens new window (An independent non-profit that provides general information and education about the law to all Newfoundlanders and Labradorians, with the intent of increasing access to justice.)
  • Women’s Policy Office (this site has links to a number of other Provincial organizations)
  • Support Enforcement Program (The Support Enforcement Division performs a number of services related to the collection and distribution of court-ordered funds for support, maintenance or alimony. The authority for the establishment of the agency lies under the Support Orders Enforcement Act, 2006.)
  • Victim Services (Victim Services is a voluntary, free and confidential justice service for victims of crime.)
  • My Parents Live Apart...What Now? A website for children and youth living in Newfoundland and Labrador who are dealing with parental separation and divorce.